Blazing-Fast 10GBASE-T Connectivity Over Thunderbolt 3 for Mac and Windows
Increased demand for greater data transfer speeds and more bandwidth over shared networks, plus the need for HD video editing support on high-performance shared storage systems has driven the explosion in demand for 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) networking—offering ten times the performance of Gigabit Ethernet, the most common wired network connection today. It’s no wonder. And yet, most computers aren’t equipped to get you connected. If your computer has a Thunderbolt 3 port, you are in luck—Sonnet’s Twin 10G™ Thunderbolt 3 Edition dual-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet adapter is the powerfully simple and cost effective solution for adding blazing-fast 10GBASE-T 10GbE network connectivity to any Mac® or Windows® computer(1) with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports.
The Twin 10G Thunderbolt 3 Edition adapter is equipped with two RJ45 ports, enabling it to connect to 10GbE infrastructure via inexpensive CAT-6 or CAT-6A copper cabling at distances up to 55 or 100 meters, respectively.
How simple? Just connect the Twin 10G Thunderbolt 3 Edition adapter to your computer via the included Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable, download and install a driver, connect the adapter to the network switch or directly to 10GbE-enabled storage via CAT-6 or CAT-6A cables, and configure the adapter’s settings through the macOS™ Network control panel or Windows Device Manager.
The Twin 10G Thunderbolt 3 Edition adapter attains its high throughput performance and low host-CPU utilization through functions such as flow control, 64-bit address support for systems using more than 4GB of physical memory; and stateless offloads such as TCP, UDP and IPv4 checksum offloading. These processes enable your computer to perform better while large files transfers or high I/O operations take place. This Sonnet adapter’s dual 10GbE connections support transparent failover to keep your computer connected in case a single cable is disconnected or one of the ports fails, and also support link aggregation(3) for increased throughput!
- Adds 10GBASE-T 10GbE Connectivity—Simply powerful way to add dual RJ45 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports to your computer with Thunderbolt 3 ports
- Cost Effective—Connects to 10GbE infrastructure via inexpensive CAT-6 or CAT-6A cables at distances up to 55 or 100 meters, respectively
- Easy Setup—Configured through macOS Network control panel or Windows Device Manager
- Supports Transparent Failover—Keeps your computer connected in case a single cable is disconnected or one of the ports fails
- Supports Link Aggregation (Teaming)—Increases throughput beyond what a single connection can sustain in some applications(3)
- Small and Nearly Noiseless—Adapter is compact enough to sit on most any work surface, and quiet enough for use in noise-sensitive environments
- Rugged Aluminum Housing—Provides robust and secure protection
- Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Ports—One port reserved for connection to the computer; second port supports daisy-chaining of up to five additional Thunderbolt(4) devices to your computer, attaching a single USB(5) peripheral device, or connecting up to two 4K displays or one 5K display(6)
- Power for Peripherals—Provides up to 15W of power to connected peripheral or host(7)
- Thunderbolt Cable & ThunderLok Included—Includes 0.5-meter Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable and ThunderLok 3 Thunderbolt connector retainer clip to secure cable from accidental disconnections
Small and Nearly Noiseless
The Twin 10G Thunderbolt 3 Edition adapter is compact enough to easily fit in most workspaces, yet large enough to support proper airflow inside the case—its design enables the adapter’s temperature-controlled, variable-speed fan to keep the adapter running cool and whisper-quiet at all times, making it suitable for use in noise-sensitive environments. Constructed of rugged and lightweight aluminum, the adapter’s outer shell securely protects the inner circuitry.
Thunderbolt 3 — The USB-C That Does It All
The Twin 10G Thunderbolt 3 Edition adapter includes two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports; the first connects the adapter to your computer, while the second supports daisy-chaining of up to five additional Thunderbolt peripheral devices(4) to a single port on your computer. The Sonnet adapter includes 10Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 2 support, meaning you can connect a USB device(5) to the second port using the proper cable or adapter. The Twin 10G also provides full support for connecting two 4K displays @ 60Hz or one 5K display @ 60Hz(6). For connected devices requiring extra power, 15 watts is provided to connected bus-powered devices(7).
Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) Cable and ThunderLok™ 3 Included
The Twin 10G Thunderbolt 3 Edition adapter includes a 0.5-meter Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect to your computer, and a Sonnet ThunderLok 3 Thunderbolt connector retainer clip(8) to secure the cable to the adapter. Sonnet’s ThunderLok 3 helps prevent accidental cable disconnects that can lead to data loss, securing the Thunderbolt cable to the adapter. ThunderLok 3 is easy to install and use—just slide it over one of the cable’s connectors, plug in the connector, and then secure it to the adapter by turning a thumbscrew. Because ThunderLok doesn’t attach to the connector, it remains on the cable and won’t get lost when not in use.
Form Factor: Thunderbolt adapter
External Connectors: Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports, Two RJ45 ports, 12V power port
10GbE Controller: Intel X550
- 100 meters using CAT-6A cabling
- 55 meters using CAT-6 cabling
5GBASE-T(9), 2.5GBASE-T(9), 100BASE-T
- 100 meters using CAT-5E, CAT-6, or CAT-6A cabling
Packets: Maximum packet size: 15872 bytes (jumbo frames)
- Flow control support
- Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI)
- RSS (Receive-Side Scaling)
- Interrupt coalescing
- Multicast filtering
- 64-bit address support for systems using more than 4GB of physical memory
- TCP, UDP and IPv4 checksum offloading
- TSO (TCP Segmentation Offload, AKA Large Send Offload)
- LRO (Large Receive Offload)
Power Adapter: Universal 60W, 100-240V, 50-60 Hz
Operating Temperature: 0ºC to 35ºC (32ºF to 95ºF)
Dimensions (WxDxH): 4.9 x 6.3 x 2.7 in. (12.5 x 16 x 6.8 cm)
Weight (including power adapter) : 2.95 lbs. (1.34 kg)
RoHS Compliant: Yes
Twin 10G Thunderbolt 3 Edition Dual-Port 10GBASE-T 10 Gigabit Ethernet Thunderbolt 3 Adapter
0.5m Thunderbolt cable
Universal power adapter
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
Mac with Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 ports and Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
PC with a Thunderbolt 3 port(1)
64-bit editions of Windows 10
Important note: Your PC may require updates to insure that the Thunderbolt 3 ports function properly. Review this website for further instructions.
1. Windows computers require the latest firmware (BIOS) and other drivers to support this product.
2. Full performance requires the use of the included Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable, or other Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cables; look for the Thunderbolt icon AND the number 3 on the connector housings to identify these cables.
3. Switch/router must support link aggregation (teaming), and ports must be configured for link aggregation. Windows 7 teaming support requires an Intel driver download. Link aggregation not supported by Windows 8 or 10.
4. Second Thunderbolt 3 port also supports Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices on Macs used with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, sold separately.
5. Second Thunderbolt 3 port also supports USB 3 Gen 1 (5Gb) or Gen 2 (10Gb) devices when connected with proper cable or adapter (sold separately).
6. One 4K monitor directly supported. Two 4K monitors requires either a 4K monitor with multi-stream transport support (DP out), or a Thunderbolt 3-to-Dual DisplayPort adapter. 5K monitor requires a Thunderbolt 3-to-Dual DisplayPort adapter.
7. The Twin 10G Thunderbolt 3 Edition is designed to provide 15 watts of upstream power. During operation, this will extend the battery life; during sleep this will charge the battery to 100%.
8. ThunderLok 3 compatible with all 0.5m Thunderbolt 3 cables, but with only 20Gbps 1-2 meter Thunderbolt 3 cables.
9. Feature to be added in a future firmware release to support Windows.
Model no.: SON-TWIN10GC-TB3